Friday, February 22, 2013

Acceptance


God grant me the serenity 
Titan and his new friend
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.
Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
Taking, as He did, this sinful world
as it is, not as I would have it;
Trusting that He will make all things right
if I surrender to His Will;
That I may be reasonably happy in this life
and supremely happy with Him
Forever in the next.
Amen.
--Reinhold Niebuhr

How true these words are in so many ways and a way of life that I try to embrace. Though I often fall very short of serenity.

I have always tried to "go with the flow, and flow with the go", as the Parelli's say, in all aspects of my life. It has proven to get me though many situations with horses and human. I have tried to let the things I am supposed to do with my life find me and shape me rather than forcing things to happen.

I have always loved horses. I have always let that love guide me. First it was to riding lessons and working around horses. Next it was off to school to study the field of therapeutic riding and striking off my career in that field. Then it was finding natural horsemanship and striking off in to that journey. This lead to the founding of Safe Haven Farm and horse ownership.

Looking at it condensed into one paragraph makes it look short and easy. But it was a long winding road and had many wonderful ups and plenty of downs. And the journey doesn't end after the last sentence of course.

The big question is what is the next step. There are so many thoughts, ideas, and wants constantly spinning around and a burning desire to be able to follow through on them immediately.   So many things seem to be getting in my way. So many things that I can't figure out how to make work. Things that seem just out of reach and other that seem like they will never come true. There is a little kid that jumps around in the back of my thoughts going "But I want to do it NOW!!!!".

Obviously, the world has other ideas. Enter the search for Serenity....

The horses that have been by guide all this time will continue to teach me and show me the way just as the world will continue to guide me to where I am meant to be at any given time. Some days I am better at this than others. Some days I get frustrated and angry. Some days I get depressed and mopey. But mostly I try to dream as hard as I can, as big as I can, knowing that what is meant to come out of those dreams will.




No comments:

Post a Comment